Georgia was founded in year 1735 by James Oglethorpe. James Oglethorpe was an Englishmen who visited Savannah and formed the 13th colony in the New World. Today, Georgia is a huge and geographically diverse state of the southeastern United States. It is also known as Peach State and is home to sophisticated Atlanta, relaxing Golden Isles, alluring Savannahs, annually held Masters Tournament, scenic mountains of North Georgia and much more. A fantastic travel destination, Georgia presents something for all interests and ages. This travel guide will provide some basic information and trip ideas for your next vacation to Georgia.
Visitors can enjoy picturesque mountains, dense forests, white-water rapids, orchards and farms in the south, Mysterious Okefenokee swamp and an Atlantic coastline of tidal marshes. Well, here are some top things to do in this lovely state of Georgia to make your visit a memorable one.
- For golf lovers there are over 400 golf courses spread in the whole state. The temperate climate of Georgia makes it an ultimate paradise for outdoor enthusiasts.
- Visitors can enjoy shopping in Underground Atlanta, which is a four-square block for shopping and entertainment. It is situated near to the business centre of Atlanta and is home to the Zero Mile Post.
- There is Atlanta Zoo in Grant Park. If visiting this park, you can also tour the Cyclorama, a 123m circumference painting of the Battle of Atlanta and is world-famous. Then there is also restored Confederate Fort Walker to be explored.
- You can either climb or ride cable car to the top of Stone Mountain, which presents gigantic representation of three confederate heroes (President Jefferson Davis and Generals Thomas ‘Stonewall’ Jackson and Robert E Lee) beautifully carved into a cliff-face.
- Visit Dahlonega, an old mining town and pan for gold here.
- Enjoy white-water rafting on the Chattahoochee River or Ocoee.
- Visit Tybee Island and enjoy sands and fishing here.
- You can enjoy a glimpse of over 100,000 fish and sea creatures at Atlanta’s Georgia Aquarium, known as the largest aquarium in the world.
- Visit Jekyll Island and explore its scenic natural beauty and rich history. It is an ideal destination for bird watchers, history lovers and golfers. In older times, it also represented as winter sanctuary for States richest industrialists like Richard Crane and William Rockefeller.
Besides all this, there is lot more to be explored in this lovely state of US. Visit it this holiday season and give yourself a rejuvenating break from daily tantrums of life.